Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Easy like Sunday morning?

By Sunday I'd already had a busy weekend and felt exhausted, I was tired, my legs hurt, my back hurt, even my backside hurt. I really didn't feel like running at all but the plan said 8 miles. I figured that sooner or later I had to tackle a run I didn't feel like doing, so decided this would be the one.

My usual routes all seem to involve hills, I really wasn't up to that, a quick look at the map and a new plan was arrived at. I decided on a completely flat route picking up the the Derby Route 66 cycle route, round to Chellaston and then on to Route 6 and finally along the canal, then back towards home via Stenson Marina.  I've done this loop several times before on a bike, so it was familiar, but a new adventure for running. Overall at about 9 miles it was also further than I wanted to go, but I figured I'd walk the last bit.

Every mile hurt. I was slower than the plan said, but I stuck with it, somehow taking energy from my ipod as I gritted my teeth and... plodded. After 6 miles I ran out of drink, and was a mess. My legs felt like lead and I'd had enough so diverted along a country lane into head on traffic, just because I wanted to get home.

Now I know what running on tired legs feels like. I can do it, but it's not fun. I'm pleased that somehow I still managed to run all the way, but it was a really close call.

Total Distance 8.61mi
Duration 1:28:46 (Spilt times: 10:04, 10:15, 10:10, 10:33, 10:35, 10:56, 10:18, 10:27, 05:28)
Avg Pace 10:18

No comments:

Post a Comment